The History of Asbury Town Neck UMC
Prior to 1888, Sunday school was started in the home of Brother Thomas Sye. His home provided the little boys and girls, who could not walk the distance, with a place for Christian training.
On October 24, 1888, a parcel of land was purchased from Henry and Eleanor J. Tydings and deeded to
William Jennings, Thomas, Sye, Thomas Jennings, Thomas Chase, John W. Manns, Henry Hall and Horace Johnson and the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church. To be kept an maintained as a place of Divine Worship. Cost of purchase was $72.50.
About 1892, a building was rented from a white congregation. Services were held in that building for approximately 2 ½ years.
In September 1904, an acre of land was purchased from Laura Tyding for the sum of $200.00. A church was erected in the northwest corner of this acre. Our Church was built in 1924 with a $4,000.00 Mortgage Loan obtained from the Annapolis Banking and Trust Company at 6% interest.
Since then, the Church has been renamed several times. Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church, Asbury Methodist Church, Asbury United Methodist Church and its present title Asbury Town Neck United Methodist Church.
The old church serving as the Church Hall was destroyed by fire several years later. In 1925, another building was erected by Johnson Glenn, Sr. and William F. Hill, to serve as the new hall. In the late 1930’s under Reverend Minor, Asbury Broadneck separated from the 3 Church charge. Town Neck and Mt. Calvary remained together.
ASBURY TOWN NECK UMC
**PASTORS & ACCOMPLISHMENTS**
Reverend Mitchell served our charge in 1942-1943. He met with ill fate upon returning from Conference. In 1943, Reverend John H. Johnson, one of our local preachers finished the term. At the same time Sunshine Choir was originated.
In 1946, under Reverend J. J. Thomas, the sunshine Choir was dedicated and its name changed to the Thomas Gospel Choir. During this time also, “The Happy Five Quintet” originated. Its original members were Johnson Glenn, Jr. Paul Johnson, Charles A. White, Roland Johnson, and Charles Johnson. The “Love Ye One Another Group” was organized in 1946 by Ms. Rachel Cook Cornish consisting of Shirley Johnson, Lenora Kelly, Johnson Glenn, Jr., Helen Glenn, Julia Howard, Mary Mackall Fisher, Leonard Glenn and Juanita Brown. Brother Alex Hunt also began to accompany the Gospel Choir as a pianist.
From 1948 – 1949, Reverend Samuel Carter was our next Pastor. Rev. Carter organized the Church’s Finance Committee. The pews were also ordered by Rev. Carter.
Rev. S. T. Collins was sent to us by the General Conference in 1952. During Rev. Collins’ years of Service the church underwent another major remodeling. Emerging from the need to have a Chorus for the Men’s Day Program, a group of men known as the “Johnson Male Chorus” was originated, a chorus as strong as in its beginning.
In 1970 Rev. Norman Goolsby came to this charge. During Rev. Goolsby’s administration the Church Hall was renovated. The NG Specials were formed as our Youth Choir and the Everlasting Joys as the Children’s Choir. In the fall of 1981, Mt Calvary and Asbury Town Neck met under the leadership of Rev. Goolsby and decided to separated and support their ministers individually.
On July 1, 1982 Rev. Robert Green, III. was assigned to this charge. Many improvements were made. Three choirs were organized. The Senior, Young Adult (now known as the Gospeleers) and the Rejoicing Angels.
In 1948 Rev. Harold Garrett, our first full-time Pastor placed strong emphasis on Stewardship through Tithing. A training session “Stewardship” was held the first year of his term. The first Chancel Choir was organized. The first Confirmation Class was also held at this time. Our Church members diligently worked towards raising funds to reach our goal for the building of the new edifice.
In 1987 Rev. Dr. Ronald Ward was appointed as full-time pastor. During Dr. Ward’s tenure the building project continued to progress very rapidly. In the spring of 1988, the land was quickly cleared for building the parsonage. A Ground Breaking Ceremony was held Sunday, March 20, 1988. The Construction of the beautiful new parsonage began and was completed in the fall of 1988. The Grounding Breaking Ceremony for the new Church was conducted in the spring of 1989. The final worship in the old sanctuary was held on Sunday, November 5, 1989. Worshipping services and other programs were held at the Rose of Sharon Church and Wayman’s Good Hope A.M. E. Church. On March 4, 1990 Rev. Dr. Ronald Ward cut the ribbon and the congregation marched into the new sanctuary. The Consecration Service was held May 27, 1990 and the Cornerstone Ceremony took place November 17, 1990.
In 1991 a Day Care was implemented. Due to spiritual and physical growth, in 1995, a kindergarten class was added and 2nd and 3rd grade was added in 2000 – 2001 the Day Care became known as Asbury Town Neck Christian Academy. A Praise Team was added to worship service and the Dance Ministry now has 30 members. A MCI coach was purchased and now we have two buses. A library was established also with Radio, Tape and Video Ministry. Under Dr. Ward’s leadership over 350 persons were brought to Christ. Vacation Church School’s attendance did increase tremendously. An Adult Ministries and community outreach program was implemented, as well as a ACAN food distribution program. A member of the month program and the Frank Taylor Scholarship Fund were implemented. Dr. Ward worked diligently with Men’s Women’s and Youth Bible Classes. Disciple I, II, and III, Confirmation Classes, Revivals and other programs, including a Youth Center, a place where young people can come to get Bible teaching, tutoring, counseling and have fun in a Christian setting. Asbury would also welcomed 50 new members to the family. Ground Breaking Ceremony for the addition to the Johnson Glenn Multi-purpose Room was held on November 11, 2001 and construction was completed.
In 2009 Rev. Kay F. Albury was appointed to Asbury Town Neck United Methodist Church as a full-time pastor. Rev.
Albury placed strong emphasis on Stewardship through Tithing. A training session “Stewardship” was held the first year of her term. She also inspired church leaders to attend the training offered by the United Methodist Church. Rev. Albury brought 10 new families to Christ. Rev. Kay Albury was promoted in 2011 to a District Level position with the Baltimore Washington Conference for the United Methodist Church. Rev. Albury made us an Act II Church and encouraged Bible study and Bible groups.
In 2011 Bishop Schol appointed Rev. James A. Bishop to
Asbury Town Neck United Methodist Church as a full-time pastor.
Asbury Town Neck United Methodist Church as a full-time pastor.